Friday, December 19, 2008

Orange snickerdoodles

Orange snickerdoodles

I have been called a Cookie Monster by some of my blogging friends, but I believe I am not the only one – the lovely and dear Susan seems to love cookies as much as I do, because she’s hosting the second season of Eat Christmas Cookies!

Food+Blogga+Cookie+Logo

I took part in the first edition of the event last year and so did many of talented people. There were several delicious entries and I am sure this year will be the same. To make things even better, Susan will give away one copy of Anita’s book. Yay! :D

My choice this time is snickerdoodles, but not the traditional ones - these are packed with a wonderful citrus touch. Yum!

Orange snickerdoodles

Orange snickerdoodles
from here

110g unsalted butter, softened
215g sugar
1 egg
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
200g all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar (215g) until light and fluffy. Add the egg and orange zest and beat for 30 seconds more. Finally add the flour and baking soda and beat until incorporated. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.

Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.

Make balls using 1 rounded teaspoon of dough and roll them in the sugar-cinnamon mixture and place on prepared sheets, 5cm (2in) apart.
Bake for 10 minutes, one sheet at a time, or until they swell then crack. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer cookies to a wire rack.

Makes 45

Orange snickerdoodles

19 comments:

Half Baked said...

OMG I was just working on a post for snickerdoodles for Susan's cookie event! I guess great minds think alike;) I love the addition of orange in yours. Sounds very tasty!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

The addition of the orange is such a lovely twist, Patricia. And just when I thought snickerdoodles couldn't get any better. :)

Manggy said...

Hee hee! You're the original, Patricia, don't you worry ;) It seems like you've spawned hundreds of monster children this December, baking all around the world, using cookies to force people with working tongues into submission. These cookies look meltingly tender and I like the citrus-y addition!

Dewi said...

I always like snickerdoodles, especially with the addition of orange zest. Delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Anonymous said...

Why are they called snickerdoodles? Do you know?

Snooky doodle said...

I love cinnamon and orange. They go so well together :) these look nice. can I have a couple , please ?? :)

Deborah said...

I would have never thought to add orange to snickerdoodles. What a great idea!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

i just love the addition of orange here. a great idea my friend!

pam said...

I love snickerdoodles and the addition of orange sounds fabulous!

Brilynn said...

I'm a big fan of adding citrus to things but I really like using the method I learned from Dorie of rubbing the sugar and citrus zest together first. I use it when making pretty much anything.

Anonymous said...

I love the orane addition here! How lovely! My six year old adores snickerdoodles, I'll have to try this.

Anonymous said...

When I was little, I thought that snickerdoodles had Snickers candy bars in them! I love the addition of the orange zest.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

What a great idea to make a citrus snickerdoodle. That really says Christmas to me. Lovely!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Half Baked, I agree - great minds do think alike! :D
I'll be checking your cookies.

Susan, I'm glad you liked it, darling, tks!

Mark, cookies are the way to get people to do what we want. :D

Elra, thank you for stopping by!

Mari, I do not! I like the name, though. :D

Natalie, you can have as many as you want, sweetie! :D

Deb, I was really interested when I saw the recipe.

Meeta, thank you, darling!

Pam, I was glad with the result!

Bri, I must do that next time!

Cathy, I hope your kid likes it!

Lydia, that makes a lot of sense to me. :D

Lynn, thank you, dear!

Cherie said...

Orange? Cookies? Always!

Ginger said...

I can't wait to try these. I am bringing a cookie platter to a lunch on New Years Eve and I am going to add these. Thanks for posting and yummy!!

Marysol said...

Nice twist on a classic; the orange zest would be a yummy addition.

Seda said...

i try it today and i fall in love to it !!!!!! it's wonderfull,yummy,perfect.....lots of thanks for the recipe....
lots of hugs from turkiye...

super mario said...

oh pastries. I've been mastering my baking and doing pastries. I thought its just simple but there are certain things in doing this that make it difficult. you need to follow on many things...

Related Posts with Thumbnails