Friday, August 14, 2009

Crunchy-top pear muffins

Crunchy-top pear muffins / Muffins de pêra com cobertura crocante

I have received several comments and emails regarding the better than brownie cookies I posted a while ago - the recipe worked out fine for some of you but not so much for others... I’m sorry to hear that and have updated the post with info on the chocolate I used and on cooling the chocolate + butter mixture for 5 minutes prior to adding the other ingredients - I hope it helps!

If you’ve had a hard time baking the better than brownie cookies, may I suggest these muffins? A stress-free recipe that will cheer you up. And even if you haven’t baked those cookies, make the muffins anyway – they are really good. :D

Crunchy-top pear muffins / Muffins de pêra com cobertura crocante

Crunchy-top pear muffins
adapted from Holiday

1 ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (185g) all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
100g rolled oats
½ cup + ½ tablespoon (94g) brown sugar, both packed
2 eggs
1 cup (240ml) plain yogurt
½ cup (120ml) vegetable (light-flavored) oil
1 pear, peeled and diced

Topping:
¼ cup (44g) brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup (50g) unblanched almonds, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; line six 240ml (1 cup) muffin pans with paper cases (or just grease well).

Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl, add the oats, brown sugar and stir together. Make a well in the centre.
Whisk together the eggs, yogurt and oil. Pour into the well in the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. Fold through the pear, being careful not to overmix. Spoon into the muffin cases.
To make the crumble topping, mix the brown sugar and almonds. Sprinkle over the muffin mixture and then bake for 20–25 minutes until golden brown.

Makes 6 – I halved the recipe, used 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans and got 7 muffins

22 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

These look absolutely nice and yummy Patricia, lovely blog, Gloria

Anonymous said...

They look like coffee cake muffins. So cute and delicious looking.

Katerina said...

These look great! I make so many muffins but I have never made one with a crunchy topping, I need to try that.

Snooky doodle said...

Nice muffins and they look delicious. I like the crunchy topping it s so inviting.

Jennifer said...

These are beautiful!!!

Anh said...

Bill's recipe? Than I am sure it's good!!

FriedBlueTomatoes said...

Looks beautiful. Which kind of pear did you use? Sorry, if this is an obvious question. I'm new to baking. :-)

Helene said...

Hmmhmmhmmh...wish I had a couple of these for breakfast tomorrow! Gorgeous!

Вера said...

Delicious!

Anonymous said...

In September we are going pear picking. I am going to bookmark thsi recipe so I can try it when we do.
Great blog!

Heather said...

I love them. Also, it's such an excellent idea to put a ribbon around each muffin - that will surely stop the papers from curling out.

Anonymous said...

I loved the cookies... and I think I'd love these muffins, too! Yummy!

Parita said...

Muffins look perfect! i havent used pears in my bakes as yet, will try soon!

gine said...

oh ... that's such a cute styling ^^ ... XOXO

Julia @ Mélanger said...

Patricia, these look so lovely. I love the crunchy top. That would be fantastic to bite into with the lovely soft cake waiting underneath! :)

Gala said...

Yum!
Love the crunchy topping!

Manggy said...

Ooh, something for autumn, which is so close by! But I want a bite now!!! :)

Peabody said...

Those look like a wonderful way to start the day!

Anita said...

The top looks fantastic. I would love to try this after liking the pear in pear and raspberry bread.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gloria, tks for stopping by!

Apple Crumbles, they do look like coffee cake muffins, you are right!
Tks for visiting!

Katerina, the almonds add a very nice touch to the muffins. Tks!

Natalie, thank you, darling!

Jen, tks!

Anh, I love Bill's recipes, too! :D

Fried Blue, I used Williams. And I don't think that's an obvious question. :D

Helen, my dear, thank you!
xoxo

Vera, thank you!

Delightfully Sweet, tks for stopping by! I hope you like the muffins!

Heather, thank you!

Michelle, xoxo!

Parita, I think we should use pears in baking more often - move over, apples! :D

Gine, thank you!
xx

Julia, thank you, dear! I really liked the nutty touch from the almonds.

Gala, thank you for stopping by!

Mark, I'm counting the days for spring! :D

Pea, thank you, dearie!
xx

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I make all kinds of muffins. Why have I never made pear muffins? Thanks for the nudge to make them. They look great.

Anonymous said...

MYAMMYYYY! Looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails