Friday, August 28, 2009

Roasted cheese, bacon and tomato salad

Roasted cheese, bacon and tomato salad / Salada com tomate, bacon e queijo assados

I told you the other day that desserts are my favorite part of a meal – indeed, they are. But the savory recipes on the DH magazine are impossible to resist – I especially love the soups and salads, like this one.

I’ve tweaked it a bit, using arugula and balsamic vinegar instead of spinach and red wine vinegar; minor changes – nothing silly like choosing John Malkovich over Hugh Laurie. :D

Roasted cheese, bacon and tomato salad / Salada com tomate, bacon e queijo assados

Roasted cheese, bacon and tomato salad
slightly adapted from Donna Hay magazine

250g haloumi*, sliced
4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
200g sourdough bread, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
250g cherry tomatoes
100g arugula leaves

Dressing:
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed**

Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF. To make the dressing, place the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.

Place the haloumi, bacon, bread and olive oil on a baking tray and toss to combine. Roast for 5-6 minutes. Turn the haloumi and add the tomatoes. Roast for a further 6-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked and the croutons are golden. Place in a bowl, add the arugula, drizzle with the dressing and toss to combine.

* I used queijo coalho, which is very easy to find here in Brazil and is similar to haloumi

** I used garlic infused olive oil and omitted the garlic clove

Serves 4

10 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Patricia-- This looks delectable! I wonder what kind of cheese is similar to haloumi that might be a good substitute here in the U.S.? I am not at all familiar with haloumi and don't believe I've ever seen it in a market . . . WDYT?

Jane

Future Grown-Up said...

This looks absolutely amazing! I am definitely going shopping for ingredients to make this myself.

Deborah said...

Absolutely delicious and irresistible!

pam said...

I love when you do savory dishes!

Katie said...

3 of my favorite ingredients yum!!!

Kumiks said...

I second what Jane said. I wonder what kind of cheese that also has a high melting point (I did a little research on Wikipedia, tee hee).

eatme_delicious said...

Ooo I absolutely love the sound of roasted cheese!! Delicious.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Jane! Thank you!
I'm not really familiar with the cheeses in the U.S. - it should be one that has a salty note and goes squeaky on the teeth...
Hope it helps!

Future Grown-Up, I hope you like it - tks for stopping by!

Deb, thank you!

Pam, thank you, darling!

Katie, bread and cheese are great add ins for salads, don't you think?

Kumiks, tks for visiting! The cheese should be one that has a salty note and goes squeaky on the teeth...
Hope it helps!

Ashley, me too! Cheese is the way to go. :)
Tks!

Abby said...

That looks divine! I love cheese and bacon together.

Diana said...

That looks delicious! I think I'd use spinach and balsamic vinegar. Two of my favorite ingredients!

Related Posts with Thumbnails