Thursday, August 20, 2009

Lavender lollipops

Lavender lollipops / Pirulitos de lavanda

I’d planned a salad for today’s post – a very good one, actually – but I’m desperately in need of something sweet and colorful, even if virtually. :D

These were really fun to make and turned out better than the first lollipops I tried - can’t wait to try new flavors. Any suggestions? :D

Lavender lollipops / Pirulitos de lavanda

Lavender lollipops
adapted from this recipe

½ cup (120ml) water
2 teaspoons edible dried lavender buds
1 cup (200g) sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
few drops of purple food coloring – I used Wilton’s and added it using a toothpick

Start by making a lavender infusion: place water and lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside until completely cold – I made the infusion the day before and left it covered at room temperature. Strain the infusion.

Oil a marble slab or baking sheet. Have ready at least a dozen wooden sucker sticks.

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1/3 cup (80ml) of the lavender infusion; stir to blend. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and boil for 2-3 minutes. Uncover and insert a candy thermometer in the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the temperature reaches 143ºC/290ºF. If sugar crystals form on the pan sides, wash the down with a pastry brush dipped in warm water.
Remove the pan from the heat and immediately dip the bottom of it into a pan of cold water to arrest cooking, removing quickly before the mixture gets too cold. Place on a dry kitchen towel and add the food coloring.
Using a large metal spoon, immediately spoon a little less than 4cm (1½ in) pools of syrup onto the prepared marble slab/sheet*. Lay one end of the lollipop stick in each pool of syrup while still soft and push gently to secure in place. Dot a little extra syrup on the embedded end of the stick. Let cool at room temperature until completely set, about 2 hours.

Wrap each lollipop in cellophane or waxed paper. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.

* once the mixture got cold and difficult to mold, I returned the pan to medium heat, stirring, until it became soft again (30 seconds or so)

Makes about 12

Lavender lollipops / Pirulitos de lavanda

26 comments:

Gala said...

They came out so pretty in purple!
Yum lavender....

Mint would maybe be fun or licorice....ha ha

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Once I buy a candy thermometer I'm going to make these in a diferent flavour...brilliant Patricia!

Вера said...

Amazing and delicious candy!!!

maybelle's mom said...

lovely. i bet rose would be great.

Snooky doodle said...

how cute! these are adorable and the colour is so nice !

gine said...

so pretty :D

Lucy said...

I really love these! I've never thought about making my own lollipops before but they turn out so pretty - the purple ribbons are lovely. Just think of all the wonderful colours and flavours you could create - kids would love them (and you!) :D

anna said...

Ooh those are so pretty and sound very yummy! For some reason I'm thinking pomegranate might be a fun flavor. So red and tangy!

lululu said...

lavender lollipops.....remind me of a blur-toned french song MV with a little gal running in a lavender garden.
romantic candy!

Alina said...

Interesting recipe and beautiful photos, such a delicate and attractive dessert!

Nora said...

Hi Patricia, I've sent you a little award - go and see my blog! Also, those lollipops are so cute.

Gloria Baker said...

LOve these lollipops Patricia are really cute and beauty! Love lavender, love the colour! gloria

Julia @ Mélanger said...

They look so adorable. I LOVE the colour! :)

pam said...

So pretty!

I want to make these!

Joy said...

They are so pretty! My friend would LOVE these.

Christine said...

They look great and I'm sure that they are yummy :-)
Am I allowed to use this recipe for posting on my blog?

Lizzie said...

So cute! I was making jam from some grapes that grow in my backyard the other day, and i totally burnt the jam and it basically hardened to the point of a candy...and I threw it out, but now I'm wishing I made it into lollipops like this or something!

Peabody said...

Those turned out great. Such a pretty color.
When I used to teach chemistry class, I would make the kids make lollipops and sell them as a fundraiser. :)

Erin said...

I'm not entirely sold on using lavender as the flavoring but I'm over the moon about the color of these lovely pops. Nice work!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gala, tks for visiting!
Mint sounds great!

Pete, thank you! I'm sure yours will turn out beautiful.

Vera, thank you!

Maybelle's Mom, thank you! Rose would be great, indeed!

Natalie, thank you, darling!

Gine, tks!

Lucy, there's a world of new flavors to be discovered! :D
Tks!

Anna, that is an amazing idea, tks!

Lu, I think you are right - lavender is romantic!

Alina, tks for stopping by!

Nora, I'll check it out - thank you!

Gloria, thank you!

Julia, thank you, sweetie!

Pam, give them a try!

Joy, thank you! Make some for your friend. :D

Christine, thank you for visiting! I'd be more than honored to see them on your blog.

Lizzie, thank you! I'm sorry to hear about your jam... And aren't you lucky to have such yummy fruits growing on your backyard?
:D

Pea, that sounds like a real good plan. :D

Erin, you can use vanilla. Tks!

Christine said...

Thank you :-)

diving Boracay said...

My niece loves lollipop so much. She will definitely be delighted. What a sweet idea! Thanks!

tasteofbeirut said...

These are so inspiring! I am thinking middle-eastern flavors like mastic and anise and rose

lisa cory said...

I made these yesterday for my son's wedding...Wonderful!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Lisa, that is excellent news! Thank you for letting me know that!

Anonymous said...

Try using a couple of dried butterfly pea flowers in your infusion for natural purple coloring 💜

Related Posts with Thumbnails