Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pear friands

Pear friands / Friands de pêra

Many of you have asked me if I eat everything I post here – not really, otherwise I’d be the size of a house. :) I do eat a little of each recipe I cook/bake and then decide if it is good enough to be shared with you, but the amounts are very modest: 2-3 cookies, 1 slice of cake, and so on. At first I did not think I’d be able to do that - because I love eating - but so far, so good. :)

These friands turned out so good that I ate 2 in a row. And that doesn’t happen every day. :)

Pear friands
adapted from Modern Classics Book 2

1 cup finely ground almonds (almond meal)
1 2/3 cups (233g) icing sugar, sifted
¾ cup (105g) all purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
5 egg whites
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (127g) unsalted butter, melted
2 pears, ripe but still firm, cored and finely sliced
icing sugar, extra, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F; butter ten ½ cup (120ml) capacity muffins pans.
Place almond meal, icing sugar, flour, baking powder and nutmeg in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the egg whites and stir to combine. Stir in the butter. Divide mixture among prepared pans – each should be ¾ full. Top each pan with 2-3 slices of pear, sinking them into the batter.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
Let stand in the pans for 5 minutes, then carefully turn onto a wire rack.
Dust with icing sugar to serve.

Makes 10 – I halved the recipe, used 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity pans and got 7 friands

13 comments:

Rachel @ Working Out Wellness said...

Thank goodness for friends and family, am I right? I'm surprised they aren't more upset about me pawning off baked goods in their direction ;) These look really beautiful, and I love the construction of your picture!

Unknown said...

That is what I do too, I make it - eat a slice or two then bring it all to work for my co-workers (who love me) This looks so so good. I really love your blog

WendyinKK said...

Patricia,
That's I always do too. Just 1 or 2 pieces, and the rest to neighbours and relatives.

Patty said...

Almonds pears and nutmeg - yum! I hear you on the sharing, good thing I have a sweetheart that can't get enough of my treats. :)

Bakericious said...

I hope I can control within 1 or 2 pcs but often I consume more than I shd, tats whi my size gonna be like hse soon :P. The friand looks yummy, think I can easy gallop more than 2 oops no!

WendyinKK said...

Looks good, I think I'll do this with plums

Paula said...

I`ve never eaten muffins with pears befor. I have to try this! :)

Anonymous said...

I am the same with my recipes - although I do tend to freeze a lot of it so it can be eaten at a later date ;)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i would certainly be tempted to eat a few of those! they remind me of the friands i used to get from the coffee shops in sydney.

Megan @ Foodalution said...

yum yum yum yum yum yum - So delish! I just take a bite out of what I make since I am not eating gluten.... bummer. But it is just so much fun to share and the whole process of baking is my own personal therapy.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Rachel, thank you for stopping by! My coworkers love getting fresh baked goods, I'll tell you. ;)

Jennifurla, I'm sure your coworkers love you, sweetie! :)
Thank you!

Wendy, that's the key, right?

Patty, my hubby doesn't like sweets, can you believe it? :)

Jess, thank you! :)

Wendy, that is a good idea!

Paula, these are not muffins, they're slightly different. But I hope you try them anyway! Thank you!

Alicia, freezing is a nice idea! Thank you, sweetie!

Steph, I'm glad to hear that! Thank you!

Megan, thank you! Helen (Tartelette) has lots of great gluten free recipes, have you visited her blog?

Sarah@buttered-up.com said...

I wanna try this, I wanna try this, I wanna try this. If only I hadn't decided to make a chocolate cake instead of this right now. :( I'm bookmarking you, beautiful recipe, and I'm using you!

Cheers!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, Sarah!
Thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you like these!
xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails