Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Leek and chickpea soup

Leek and chickpea soup / Sopa de alho-poró e grão-de-bico

If someone asked me what I would like to be doing right now, I’d say that I’d like to be on my couch, under the blankets, having this soup for lunch – and Lisa’s cherry peach almond crisp for dessert. :)

Leek and chickpea soup
adapted from Kitchen: The Best of the Best

2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter
8 saffron threads
1 large leek, cleaned and finely sliced
grated zest of 1 small lemon
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
2 ¼ cups (540ml) chicken stock
150g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked in salted water for 40 minutes or until al dente (or canned chickpeas, if you prefer)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the butter and saffron threads in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek when the butter begins to bubble, and cook until it is soft and transparent. Add the zest, carrot and parsley and cook for a further minute before adding the stock and chickpeas. Season to taste and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Note: I’ve made this soup twice already and the second time I added small macaroni to it - the soup was even better!

Serves 2

15 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

Looks delicious

poppyseed said...

Oh that sounds good--I think I have a leek and might just make that for lunch today!

Paula said...

Can I have a bit of that delicious soup...? :)

Have a nice day!
Paula

Cafe Pepela said...

Woow,it looks so delicious!
İ love chickpea.. :)

Trudy ~ veggie num num said...

Yum! This is mind kind of soup! Chickpeas are so good and with saffron and lemon, beautiful flavours. Will be trying this with a vegetable stock! Oh and I love your photo, such pretty styling :)

LimeCake said...

i totally need some hot soup right now. it's freezing right now in Australia. this looks so hearty!

Rachel @ Working Out Wellness said...

Definitely not soup whether here in South Carolina, but I just love the presentation with the leaf! That's such a cute idea.

Sakorarox said...

that sounds so tasty and I would definitely make it if it were not for the fact that it is VERY HOT here! lol

I sometimes forget that others are in winter now! :)

Anna said...

Awwwwww, it look so lovely, I would like that for my lunch too. Great picture.

El said...

This is definitely my kind of soup. The photos is beautiful too.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

What pretty styling, Patricia. I'll have to remember to come back to this one when the weather cools down where I am.

M. said...

beautiful styling, love how you used dried leaves here, really pretty!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Torview, thank you.

Poppyseed, thank you! I hope you like it!

Paula, you can have as many bowls as you want, sweetie! :)
xoxo

Pepela, tks for stopping by!

Trudy, thank you for visiting!I do hope you try it!

LimeCake, thank you! We're on the same season. :)

Rachel, thank you! I'm glad you like it!

Zahra, thank you for visiting! It's very cold here in Sao Paulo right now. :)

Anna, thank you, darling!

El, thank you for stopping by - I love your blog! :)

Xiaolu, thank you, sweetie! I do hope you give it a go when it's winter for you.

M., thank you! That is quite a compliment coming from you!
xx

Clare @ Mrs Multitasker said...

This looks so so good. I love a delicious hearty soup (even in Singapore's crazy sweltering weather!). And I haveta say girl, you post with amazing frequency!

Anonymous said...

Yum! What a delicious soup! :)
Your photo is pretty too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails