Friday, July 16, 2010

Baked rice pudding with honeyed apples

Baked rice pudding with honeyed apples / Arroz doce de forno com maçãs ao mel

As you can see, I’m still on comfort food mode on. :)

I remember seeing these apples on the magazine and thinking “wow, they look so good!”, but did not feel as enthusiastic about the porridge; don’t get me wrong, I love oats, but those golden, beautiful apple slices deserved more – so I decided to pair them with rice pudding. And that was absolutely brilliant – modest mode off. :)

Baked rice pudding with honeyed apples
recipes adapted from Donna Hay magazine

Rice pudding:
½ cup Arborio rice
4 cups (960ml) whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
4 tablespoons caster sugar
2 pieces lemon zest – 5cm (2in) each
ground cinnamon, for sprinkling

Honeyed apples:
3 red apples, sliced
3 tablespoons honey

Preheat oven to 160°C/320°F. Place the rice in the base of a 7 cup-capacity shallow ovenproof dish. Combine the milk, vanilla bean and seeds, sugar and lemon zest, pour over the rice and stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil and place on a baking tray. Bake for 1 hour, remove the foil and stir. Bake, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes or until al dente.
Make honeyed apples: heat a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the apples for 1 minute each side. Add honey and cook for a further 1–2 minutes or until golden and caramelized.
Divide the rice pudding among 6 bowls, dust with the cinnamon, top with the apples and serve.

Serves 6

11 comments:

Anh said...

I have been in a comfort food mood, too. But hey, it's winter = perfect mood for it.

poppyseed said...

It's summer here so I'm not in comfort food mode, but that's a keeper for this fall--sounds so good. I love rice pudding but haven't made it with apples.

Amanda Stuckey said...

This looks soooo good. Especially with those apples! I might just have to try those by themselves for snacking.

Anonymous said...

Those apple slices look really pretty! I don't think I could ever slice that perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Rice puddings are a favorite of mine, though I tend to leave them for winter. And yours look SO inviting with those apple slice beauties!
Ronelle

Lizzie said...

oh god! rice pudding!!! my biggest weakness!!! this looks incredibly delicious

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I love a good rice pudding the spiced apples make a nice compliment to the creamy rice pudding!

Cafe Pepela said...

My favorite!
Really love rice pudding
add apple is great idea,i'll absolutely try this..

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love custard and porridge of all types. This looks perfectly rich and satisfying.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Anh, I agree with you, sweetie. :)

Poppyseed, I hope you give these apples a try!
Thank you!

Amanda, thank you! Hope you enjoy them!

Hi, sweetie! Thank you! Of course you can. :)

Ronelle, I prefer rice pudding in the winter, too, because I like to eat it piping hot. :)
Thank you!

Lizzie, thank you, darling!
xoxo

Chef Dennis, thank you!

Pepela, thank you! I do hope you try it!

Xiaolu, thank you! Very comforting. :)

kelly said...

This sounds so delicious! I haven't had rice pudding in years and the apples are such a perfect addition.

Related Posts with Thumbnails