Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chocolate chip bread pudding

Chocolate chip bread pudding / Pudim de pão com gotas de chocolate

My sister made me watch the awful “Season of the Witch” – I have to say that putting up with Nicolas Cage for 1 ½ hours is huge proof of my love for her. :)
When the movie was over and Dominic Sena’s name appeared on the screen it all made sense to me – a bad director could not deliver a good movie. :)

On the other hand, I always expect great recipes from Nigella – and this bread pudding is no exception. I have a piece of advice, though: make it only when you have other people around the house. :)

Chocolate chip bread pudding
from Nigella Kitchen

250g (9oz) stale bread, cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes (approx. 5 ½ cups of cubes)
½ cup (92g) dark chocolate chips
3 eggs
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons dark rum
½ cup (120ml) heavy cream
2 cups (480ml) whole milk
4 teaspoons demerara sugar

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 9x2 ½ in* round pie dish lightly with butter. Tip in the stale bread cubes. Toss in the chocolate chips evenly among the bread cubes.
Whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, rum, heavy cream and milk. Pour this mixture over the bread and press the cubes down to coat them in the liquid. Leave all this to soak for 20 minutes, then sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden and firm.

* approx. 6 cups (1.5l) capacity

Serves 4-6

17 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

beautiful presentation

Restaurante Valerie said...

I really had fun watching you blog, the presentation is great! And your recipes are wonderful!! I'll be around watching you =D

Valerie

Figs, Bay, Wine said...

Oh I love bread pudding! I must make some up here while the weather's still cold.

Karen said...

Bread pudding is the ultimate comfort food, especially when it is studded with lots of chocolate! Stopping by your blog and seeing all those delicious cakes and desserts always puts a smile on my face. :-)

Priya Suresh said...

Bread pudding looks fabulous..

YELDA said...

that's look delicious... hımmmm i would like to eat them, now :))

Joyce @ Chunky Cooky said...

I love bread pudding and this simply looks divine ! Going to make this one of these days !

The Sweetylicious said...

it look so delicious! yummy!(:

Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Nigella definitely knows her desserts! Looks delicious!!

Unknown said...

Patricia, the bread pudding looks wonderful! Love your comment about Nick Cage-ha! could not agree more! xo

susan said...

I have made this and it does not disappoint! I also agree that it needs to be made for company! When something like this emerges from the oven, I feel my thighs start to grow! Your photo is yummy and sweet! xx

linda said...

OMG: i am so hungry looking @ your beautiful photograph of this amazing pudding…i am leaving some bread out so that i can bake this creation very soon…dark chocolate is my weakness!

Maria said...

This looks so delicious, a perfect treat!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Torview, thank you!

Valerie, I'm glad to hear that, thank you!

Figs, Bay, Wine, bread pudding is addictive, isn't it? :D
I had this one on a very hot day and despite the heat it was worth it. :D

Karen, comforting, indeed! You are just far too kind, thank you!
xx

Priya, thank you!

Yelda, thank you! I wish I could share it with you!

Joyce, I hope you give it a go, it's really good!

Sweetylicious, thank you!

Lauren, she does! I love her. :)
Thank you!

Nina, thank you, darling! You and I seem to have similar taste in movies! :D
xx

Susan, isn't it wonderful? I was licking the bowl at the end. :D
I was laughing about the thighs thing - so true!
Thank you, dearie!
xx

Linda, thank you for stopping by! I'm glad to know you're enjoying the blog!
xx

Maria, thank you!

Anonymous said...

hi lady, i know about a simple and perfect cookies recip that implies to put the mixture in the fridge for a complete day, then you have to baking the cookies and walaaa
regards from argentina

Sasa said...

B and B pud, always a lovely way to use up leftover bread - I've used stale croissants to good effect too.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Sasa, tks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails