Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Devilish angel food cake with passion fruit curd

Devilish angel food cake with passion fruit curd / Bolo de claras com curd de maracujá

I’m baking with Susan again – and I almost had to call for help to stop eating this cake. :)

I kept lying to myself saying that “this is practically only egg whites” after eating each slice of cake, then Susan wrote me the same thing in an email. You see, it’s not only my fault. ;)

I made some passion fruit curd to serve the cake with, but now I have an eye on Suz’s version with raspberry sauce... Yum!

Devilish angel food cake with passion fruit curd
cake from Desserts by the Yard, curd from Modern Classics Book 2

Cake:
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (140g) cake flour*
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (224g) caster (superfine) sugar
scant ½ teaspoon baking powder
9 large egg whites (252g)
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out with the back of the knife and reserved
½ cup (1 stick/113g) unsalted butter, melted and still hot

Passion fruit curd:
½ cup passion fruit pulp + some extra seeds to decorate
100g unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup (100g) caster (superfine) sugar
1 egg
3 egg yolks

Prepare the cake: preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line the bottom of a 6-cup capacity tube pan with a ring of parchment paper – do not grease the pan.
Sift together the flour, ½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) of the caster sugar, and the baking powder 2 times and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the egg whites on low speed until they begin to foam. Add the cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon of the sugar, then continue to beat while gradually adding the remaining ½ cup (100g) sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Beat until the whites form medium-firm peaks. Stop the mixer. Add the vanilla seeds and continue beating while you quickly stream in the hot butter. Remove from the mixer and gently fold in the dry ingredients.
Spoon the batter into the prepared, spreading it evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, rotate the pan from front to back, and bake for 10-15 additional minutes, until the cake is firm to touch and a tester inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and flip the cake pan upside down on a rack. Let sit for 1 hour, then run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert the cake onto a serving platter. Remove the parchment from the cake.

Make the curd: place the passion fruit pulp and butter in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Whisk in the sugar, the egg and egg yolks and stir constantly over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Pass it through a fine sieve, add the reserved passion fruit seeds and immediately cover with plastic wrap directly in contact with the curd. Let cool then refrigerate**.
Makes 1 ½ cups

Cut the cake into thick slices and serve with the curd.

* homemade cake flour: 1 cup (140g) all purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons corn starch

** I thought the curd smelled a little eggy, so I added 1 teaspoon lemon juice to it after it was cool and it worked out fine

Serves 10

10 comments:

susan said...

Your cake is so gorgeous(taller than mine, mine was a midget)!! And that passion fruit curd - that's crazy! I need to find an excuse to make that.

I adore you and I feel blessed to be able to bake with you 2 times a month. Makes the distance not so terrible. Yet, one day, we will share an actual kitchen and bake up all kinds of wonderful creations!!! xx

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous cake love that passion fruit curd,very catchy..

Xiaolu said...

Oh man, I'm so jealous you can make passion fruit curd with actual seeds ;p. So pretty! I totally wouldn't be able to stop eating this beautiful treat either.

Sonia said...

Awesome cake and presentation. Cant wait to bake one for my family and try it...too gud !

cocoa and coconut said...

I love any 'curd' (lemon curd/passionfruit curd) with cake. The textures go well together. Great presentation!

Nina said...

Stunning cake...and that passion fruit curd! Oh my. That book is great, isn't it!? xo

Katie said...

Looks gorgeous and so light and fluffy. The passion fruit curd sounds a wonderful addition. Very summery, yum

The Sweetylicious said...

NICE! it helps to get rid of those egg whites i have and it uses passion fruit! i love it (: (:

Jun said...

Yum!!! I love the passion fruit curd!

Unknown said...

Hi!! First of all I want to tell you that I love this blog!! Congratulations!!!

I'm a spanish girl that I recently open a blog and I use a recipe of yours and I want to tell you and I need to know if you are agree or not, and I want to ask you if I can put a link to your blog.

Sorry for my english!!
If you want to visit me, I'm Natalia and my blog is:

http://fashion-cook.blogspot.com/

If you are agree, can I use more recipes??
Thanks a lot, and kisses from Mallorca (Balearic Islands), Spain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails