Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bakewell slice and almost forgotten CDs and books

Bakewell slice / Barrinhas Bakewell (barrinhas de geléia e amêndoa)

Trying to organize – at least a little – my CD collection I found this CD: I bought it in 1996 because of 3-4 songs but a couple of days later all the tracks had become favorites of mine – and still are. I absolutely love Erasure and even though I hadn’t listened to this CD in several months I instantly started singing along each and every song.

That kind of feeling is what made me want so badly to cook or bake something from "Feast" – despite having bought the book in 2007 I don’t use it very often, but I get something delicious every time I do; These bars are no exception.

Bakewell slice
from Feast: Food to Celebrate Life

Base:
1 ½ cups + 1 tablespoon (220g) all purpose flour
1/3 cup (47g) icing sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup (226g/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and chopped

Frangipane filling:
2/3 cup (150g/1 1/3 sticks) unsalted butter
4 eggs
¾ cup (150g) superfine sugar
1 ½ cups (150g) almond meal
2/3 cup (80g) flaked almonds
1 heaping cup jam

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) metal baking pan, line with foil, leaving an overhang in two opposite sides. Butter the foil as well.
Start with the base: put the flour, icing sugar and salt into a food processor and blitz to combine and remove any lumps. Add the butter and process again to get a crumbly mixture that’s beginning to come together. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press into the base of the pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
Make the topping: melt the butter and set aside. Put the eggs, sugar and almond meal into the bowl of the food processor. Process until smooth.
Lightly toast the flaked almonds in a dry frying pan. Set aside.
When the base is cooked, remove it from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Spread the jam evenly over the base. With the processor motor running, pour the slightly cooled melted butter down the funnel into the other ingredients and process until smooth. Pour it over the jam layer and top with the toasted almonds. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan, over a wire rack. Cut into slices to serve – it’s best warm, but it tastes delicious at room temperature as well.

Makes 16

8 comments:

DessertForTwo said...

I've been wanting to try a bakewell tart! Thanks for the extra inspiration :)

cafenoHut said...

I have just meet your blog and I love it. I am very novice in the kitchen but I am sure that I will try your quite recipes...

Sara said...

Yum, I love bakewell tarts, what a fun idea to make it as a "slice" instead...very pretty!

Sashquatch said...

Ive been wanting to make a bakewell tart for a lonnngg time, i feel traitorous being from the UK and having not tried it yet! This looks really veryvery good, absolutely perfect tea time snacks :)

Tara @ The Butter Dish said...

Have I been living under a rock or in a cave? I've never heard of "bakwell"but regardless of that minute detail - these look so yummy.

Oh my gosh I better eat some breakfast before I eat my computer!

Kucina di Kiara said...

Un dolce meraviglioso e una foto stupenda... complimenti, anche per il tuo splendido blog!

Reem said...

This looks scrumptious...God you made me hungry again. Love the pics.

Heather said...

These look delicious - I think I will make them for the office next week. Your blog is one of my favorites.

Related Posts with Thumbnails