Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fennel seed and onion loaf

Fennel seed and onion loaf / Pão com cebola e erva-doce

I’ve been trying to find a way to convince you to bake this bread but all I can think of is that it tastes delicious and goes really well with a glass of ice cold beer (which is always a winner imho). :)

Oh, and the leftover slices are great lightly buttered and toasted on a nonstick frying pan. There - I hope you give it a try.

Fennel seed and onion loaf
slightly adapted from the always gorgeous Australian Gourmet Traveller

¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (90ml) olive oil, divided use
1 onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons fennel seeds, plus extra for dusting
3 ½ cups (490g) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
4 teaspoons (12g) dried yeast
2 teaspoons superfine sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup (240ml) warm water
milk, for brushing
crushed coarse salt or sea salt, for sprinkling – I used Maldon

Heat ¼ cup (60ml) of the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add onion, sauté until very tender (6-8 minutes), stir through fennel seeds, cook until fragrant (1 minute), remove from heat, season to taste and cool.
Combine flour, yeast, sugar, fennel mixture and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix to combine. With motor running, add water and remaining oil, knead until smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes), then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover and rest in a warm place until doubled in size (30-45 minutes).
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F; line a large baking sheet with foil.
Knock back dough, divide in half and roll each piece on a lightly floured surface into a 35cm (14in) long cylinder. Place onto prepared baking sheet, cover loosely with plastic wrap, stand until risen (15-20 minutes). Brush with milk and scatter with extra flour, fennel seeds and coarse/sea salt. Bake until golden and cooked through (25-30 minutes), then cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Store in an airtight container until required. Bread is best eaten on day of making.

Serves 6 – I halved the recipe above and made a 30cm (12in) loaf of bread

8 comments:

Jenn said...

It looks good Patricia. Beautiful photo too, I love your cloth/napkin background :).

~~louise~~ said...

I'm convinced!!!

Anonymous said...

I planned to bake off a couple loaves of the same recipe for rustic whole wheat bread that I used last week, but now I'm leaning in a more onion and fennel-y direction. Looks fantastic.

Cheers,

*Heather*

Anonymous said...

Ummm...fennel is not common here in Peru, imagine having the seeds...so I think I can make it just with the onions.
Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Priya Suresh said...

Wonderful flavourful bread,looks fab..

T and Tea Cake said...

Mhh, I really like fennel but I have never had it in a savory way. Only in teas and hard sweets. I really should try out your bread, then. Only to have an excuse for a cold beer. Ha, like I would need one. CHUG! ;)

Cheers,
Tobias

Abby said...

Fennel is one of my favorite flavorings. Switch out that beer for cold sweet tea and I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Looks good; I will make it today.

I do NOT plan on messing up a good recipe: I look forward to the cold beer with the savory bread!

Related Posts with Thumbnails