Thursday, September 1, 2011

Avocado ice cream and things my mom would love

Avocado ice cream / Sorvete de abacate

While certain things instantly remind me of my mom, others make me think of her because I am sure she would love them if she was around. The food shows I watch on a regular basis, for instance: I know that Bill and Nigella would be her favorites (not Gordon; mom hated swearing); dishes like these, because of her deep love for tomatoes; and this avocado ice cream, for all those afternoons when we shared a bowl of avocados sprinkled with sugar and lime juice after I’d finished my homework.

Avocado ice cream
slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop, inspired by Ana Elisa’s ice cream

500g ripe avocados
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) superfine sugar
¾ cup (180ml) sour cream*
1/3 cup (80ml) heavy cream
¼ cup (60ml) whole milk
1 tablespoon lime juice
generous pinch of salt

Slice the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and cut into small pieces. Transfer to a blender or food processor, add the sugar, sour cream, heavy cream, milk, lime juice and salt and blitz until smooth. Taste the mixture and adjust the sugar and/or lime juice if necessary.
Freeze immediately in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

* homemade sour cream: to make 1 cup of sour cream, mix 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream with 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk until it starts to thicken. Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 1 hour or until thicker

Makes 750ml

8 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking ice cream and colour

ChichaJo said...

This reminds me of my childhood...we would have avocado with milk and sugar and keep this chilled in the fridge or freezer, a sort of "cheat's" ice cream that is very typical here :) You are making me crave now!

Priya Suresh said...

Love this highly inviting ice cream..yumm!

Anonymous said...

I've never had avocado ice-cream before...I know, such a shame right? Must try this if I ever get an ice-cream machine. Thanks for sharing, P!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

These looks so good. In college, the restaurant where I waitressed sold avocado shake bubble tea -- surprisingly yummy!

Unknown said...

I would never in a thousand years think avocado could make a good ice cream but you have made a believer of me.

It would be a perfect food for me. :)

Abby said...

What a sweet post. Avocados are so versatile! I've never tried them in a dessert before, but I know it's common. Better than mint, I bet!

Debi said...

I really think I need to try this. It looks lovely! And, I "suffer" from guacarexia - the desire to get all my calories from avocados. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails