Saturday, June 1, 2013

Banana and blueberry muffins

Banana blueberry muffins / Muffins de banana e mirtilo

Every time I have a surplus of ripe bananas at home and I can't find a way of using them immediately I place them in the freezer - they last long there and can be used in most baking recipes after being thawed. However, when there is only one frozen banana to be used things get a bit more complicated, since most recipes call for 2-3 bananas, or even more (that was when I had to drop the idea of making Rose's banana cake with white chocolate frosting). These muffins were the solution I needed: the recipe called for only 1 large banana (exactly what I had at hand) and the blueberries make them even more interesting, delicious and nutritious.

Banana and blueberry muffins
slightly adapted from here

225g all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 large ripe banana, peeled and mashed
1/3 cup (80ml) canola oil
2/3 cup (160ml) whole milk
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (unthawed), tossed with 1 teaspoon all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan – 1/3-cup capacity cavities – with paper cases.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and mix well. In a small bowl, whisk together with a fork the banana, oil, milk, egg and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until just combined. Don't over-mix. Fold in the blueberries.
Fill each paper liner ¾ full and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through (test with a toothpick).

Makes 12

3 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love your banana and blueberry pairing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patricia,

I baked some muffins last night from another source and they were an epic fail. My bruised ego needed a boost so I looked at my trusted recipe source, Technicolor Kitchen. I had everything I needed to make these muffins. They came out lovely, tender, perfect amount of sweetness, the bananas and blueberries complimented each other nicely.

As always, thank you so very much for sharing all these wonderful recipes.

Yours,

Ellen

Patricia Scarpin said...

My dear friend, you spoil me with your kind comments! I am so happy to know I am a trusted source, it makes me really glad! Thank you for taking the time to let me know how the recipes go.

xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails