Monday, June 17, 2013

Easy almond cake for Nigella

Easy almond cake / Bolo fácil de amêndoa

Yesterday morning, while editing some of my photos, I read the shocking news that Nigella had been abused by her husband at a restaurant – that made me angry and sad. If that douche bag feels comfortable enough to do such things in public, I wonder what he does to her inside their home, when no one is watching. I felt so sorry for Nigella, for her kids. My heart goes out to them, and I hope she is able to get out of this terrible situation soon. I try to be a balanced person and I know that violence is not the answer, but a guy that grabs his wife by the neck four times and then say that it was just a “playful tiff” deserves a lesson – I very painful one.

Because the lovely British cook is on my thoughts today I bring you this delicious cake, so simple and easy, from one of Nigella’s cookbooks, the wonderful "How to Be a Domestic Goddess".

Easy almond cake
from the always delicious and foolproof How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking

250g unsalted butter, softened
250g marzipan, softened – I used homemade
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
6 large eggs
1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter a round 20cm (8in) cake pan (with high sides), line the bottom with a circle of baking paper and butter the paper as well.
In a food processor, process the marzipan, butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the almond and vanilla extracts and process again. Add the eggs, one at a time, down the funnel, processing after each addition. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and process until incorporated. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 50 minutes (checking from 40) or until golden and risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack, then carefully unmold. Dust with icing sugar and serve.

Serves 8-10

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am out raged too! After all she has been through she can not get a break can she???

Sara said...

Boo, what horrible news! :( Your cake looks fantastic, though! :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

How awful, I hadn't heard that!

I love this cake, it's type of dessert where I'd chase after every last crumb :).

seeker said...

Hi,ur cake looks fantastic.
i just want to ask instead of marzipan can i use almond meal only? thnx

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

I think everyone is upset for Nigella. I just do not understand why he would think it was ok. I hope she finds a way out quickly.

Is there a typo by chance. How do you fit 6 eggs in such a small pan? Am I missing something?

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

Oh I just am so upset by all of this. I just....oh I'm so upset. I have always adored her, her books, her food. She has such a nice energy. What happened is shocking and I hope she is able to extricate herself from this situation.

Sil BsAs said...

I saw the news early today and couldn't believe my eyes wih those photos! and she's been with him 10 years! and he isn't even handsome =(
hope she can get out of this situation soon...
(lovely photo of that cake!)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Preeti, no. It has to be marzipan.

Ms. Lemon, the amount of eggs is correct. The batter is made in the food processor, not there is not much volume. Don't use a very shallow pan, though.

seeker said...

thnx patricia, thnx a lot

Anonymous said...

I love my copy of How to Be a Domestic Goddess. Like you said: always delicious and foolproof

Milan said...

Almonds?

Related Posts with Thumbnails