Monday, June 3, 2013

Lemon and coconut brownies

Lemon and coconut brownies / Brownies de limão siciliano e coco

Watching a Brazilian cooking show the other day I thought it was really disgusting to see the presenter transfer the cake batter to the pan using his hands: as much as one uses their hands for cooking and baking – and I certainly do that a lot – there are tools for determined actions. Jamie Oliver practically kneading his guacamole on this video almost made me lose my lunch – there are certain cooking habits I really can’t stand. I don’t like to think of myself as a conservative person but I guess I am.
I do, however, have a more liberal side when it comes to cooking and unusual recipes always get my attention – how could I resist baking brownies that contain no chocolate at all? These delicious bars taste like baked curd and are irresistible.

Lemon and coconut brownies
slightly adapted from here

250g unsalted butter
350g granulated sugar
4 eggs
225g all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 cup (100g) sweetened flaked coconut
finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
¼ cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
icing sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan, line it with foil leaving two overhands on opposite sides and butter the paper as well.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and stir until mixture is thick and glossy.
Sift the flour and salt over the egg mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in coconut, lemon zest and juice and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar then cut into bars.

Makes 20

4 comments:

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Beautiful brownies, I love the lemon and coconut!

Laura Dembowski said...

I was sold at baked lemon curd. That along with the coconut makes these sound crazy good!

anilou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anilou said...

I agree with you Patricia, hands are sometimes best for certain tasks in the kitchen, but Jamie making that guacamole looks disgusting and so does the finished product.

Related Posts with Thumbnails