Thursday, April 21, 2011

Double chocolate chip cookies - from skinny cooks to skinny cookies

Double chocolate chip cookies / Cookies com gotas de chocolate amargo e branco

A while ago I was talking to Fezoca (via Twitter) about Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook – I have to say I wasn’t (and still am not) all that excited about it. I think she’s a beautiful woman, can sing really well, but would never make it to my list of favorite actresses – I find her really limited as far as acting is concerned. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the cookbook thing – what doesn’t get me going for it is the fact that she does not look like she actually eats. I feel the same about Giada, for instance.

When it comes to cookies, my opinion is pretty much the same: I’m more inclined to the chubby kinds. That is why these do not rank so high on my best-ever-cookies list – they are delish, but too thin for my taste. :)

Double chocolate chip cookies / Cookies com gotas de chocolate amargo e branco

Double chocolate chip cookies
slightly adapted from Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy

2 cups + ½ tablespoon (285g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (226g/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
¾ cup (132g) light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup (170g) dark chocolate chips
1 cup (170g) white chocolate chips

Mix the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the butter with the sugars, vanilla and salt. Mix in the eggs. Stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours (or overnight).
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator (let is soften a bit if left in the refrigerator for more than 2 hours). Place 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of dough per cookie onto prepared pans, 7.5cm (3in) apart. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are golden brown at the edges and no longer look wet on top. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes. Slide the paper off the sheets onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container, at room temperature, for 4-6 days.

Makes about 60 cookies – I halved the recipe above and got 33 cookies

15 comments:

DessertForTwo said...

I agree 100%! So many cooks do not eat their actual recipes! I don't believe for one minute that Giada eats prosciutto-wrapped pork, lamb and Italian desserts more than once a month. Nor do I believe Paltrow is eating anything but macrobiotic, raw vegan food. I like both types-their real food and their recipes, but just be honest with us, you know?

Great post :)

Restaurante Valerie said...

Wow, i didn't know Gwyneth Paltrow had a cookbook, that's really interesting!

Your cookies look really good, they may be thin, but if they're good, i don't mind.

Anonymous said...

so are you implying that you have to be slightly fat to be a good cook. gwyneth paltrow looks very healthy and naturally slim in my opinion; she does NOT look like she "doesn't eat" - a phrase that i feel people throw around too often without thinking.

Nisa-mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nisa-mom said...

some said "don't trust a skinny cook" ; so even Giada say "YUMM" I'm still like try your recipe than her LOL.

Just Cake Girl said...

yummy!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking cookies

Clara Violetta said...

The cookies look really great. I'll be saving that recipe for next Christmas, even though sadly I will have to substitute the white chocolate (damn that lactose intolerance) with more dark chocolate.

I have to disagree on the skinny-people part though, because that would imply I wasn't a good cook. ;) Guess there are some people that just don't gain weight when eating or (on my part) just can't eat that much of certain foods due to various food-intolerances. So don't be so fast to judge the cook instead of the recipes. ;)

But to end with something nice: I've been reading your blog for over a year now and it's about time I tell you how much I love your recipes aswell as the photos you take. I still make a small pot of your lemon curd at least once a month! :)

cocoa and coconut said...

I love cookies. Nothing but a classic recipe!

Blue Llama said...

Interesting comment about how certain cooks don't eat their own food. I think it is true as if you ever watch the two mentioned they only take "baby bites" of what ever they fix. If you have ever seen the "Spice Goddess" on the Cooking channel she is another one.

I watched epsisodes of Gwyneth Paltrow and Mario Batali’s show (I think it was a trip in Spain) and personally that was the MOST uncomfortable thing I have ever seen.

susan said...

I know this is not your favorite book...how did you like these cookies? They look gorgeous, Patricia!

Unknown said...

Happy Easter weekend Patricia! I'm with you -- I like a chubby cookie, although these look really delicious! Love the Chewy Gooey book!

Katie said...

cookies look delicious and i totally agree with you about gwyneth paltrow's acting abilities!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I agree with u about Gwyneth's acting and i'm not hugely interested in her book either, but I do agree with the commenter above that some people (2 good friends I've had included) can just eat and eat and eat and not gain any weight. Considering that Gwyneth had to gain some weight for Country Strong it's clear that it's possible for her to put on some weight, but she probably does just have a high metabolism as well. Especially if she eats healthily and exercises regularly it's not impossible that it's not the result of starvation. Plus her food-centric newsletter GOOP has gotten quite a following so she's gotten have something other than just celebrity appeal :). Just saying. I'm also not big on the skinny cookies though because I like mine just a big crisp on the outside but gooey and chewy within.

Aleida said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has been bothered by skinny cooks and their ridiculous recipes. Makes me wonder if they even come up with the ideas on their own.

As for the cookies, they look delicious. I don't mind thin cookies, they're usually pretty crispy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails