Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pecan, coconut and lemon bars

Pecan, coconut and lemon bars / Barrinhas de pecã, coco e limão siciliano

I’m a creature of habits, and I’m OK with that.

Going through Amanda Hasser’s amazing compilation of recipes, my heart stood still when I read the words “lemon” and “bars”; I immediately thought that you’ve already seen enough lemon bars around here, but I went on and read the recipe anyway. I’m so glad I did: these were not regular lemon bars. These were a match made in heaven of a chewy, nutty filling – packed with pecans and coconut – and a delicious, lemony icing – the one I love spreading over cakes and such. Did I tell you there is a buttery, shortbread-like base, too? :)

I grabbed one of the bars and munched away while watching “Rope” – too bad I was so tired I fell asleep in the middle of the movie. :(

Pecan, coconut and lemon bars / Barrinhas de pecã, coco e limão siciliano

Pecan, coconut and lemon bars
slightly adapted from the amazing The Essential New York Times Cookbook

1 cup + 1 tablespoon (150g) all purpose flour
2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar
pinch of salt
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup (175g) light brown sugar, packed
½ cup (55) pecans, finely chopped
½ cup (50g) shredded, unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons (261g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
grated zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan, line the bottom and the sides with foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sites; butter the foil as well.
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and mix in low speed until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Press the mixture into the base of the prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, pecans, coconut, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Pour over the partially baked base and spread it evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is firm. Remove from the oven.
Mix together the confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Spread it evenly over the topping, then let cool completely. Carefully remove from the pan using the foil handles. Cut into bars.

Makes 16

20 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my GOODNESS!!! These look absolutely amazing! I WILL be making them! Thanks!

DessertForTwo said...

What a great twist on lemon bars! I have to make these...now! :)

Priya Suresh said...

Lemon bars looks damn pretty and addictive..

Anonymous said...

i love pecan!! it is the best!
kisses

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I love lemon bars! No worries of posting more here :) This looks just as delicious as every one of the bars you've posted!

Aleida said...

These are perfect for bring a little spring excitement into the house, especially when it's been raining all day. Thanks!

kimberlycun said...

gonna try to make them this week! thanks so much!

Angela said...

Che spettacolo !!! Devono essere buonissime !!!

Jun said...

This will make a really good snack! I don't think I can stop eating this. Have to make a big batch.

Tine said...

This looks divine!

Anonymous said...

yuuuuuuuuummmmmmm. I was just thinking about using up some of my lemons! this is perfect :D

Sips and Spoonfuls said...

You can't go wrong with a recipe that has both coconut AND lemon in it. AND nuts = heaven!

Rivki Locker said...

These look wonderful, and the best part is that I can make them for Passover, which is next week. (We don't eat any wheat flour so it's hard to find suitable recipes.) Yippee. Thanks!!

Katie Mar said...

i'm a creature of habit, too.
these look AWESOME, patricia!
i'm a new follower of your blog, and i'm glad i found it on the right day! :)

Unknown said...

Aren't you loving that book?! :) These look awesome! xo

Patricia Scarpin said...

Heather, thank you! I hope you give these a try, sweetie!
xoxo

Priya, thank you!

Pili, I love pecans, too! :D
Thank you for stopping by!

Min, I love them too - I might post some more, then. ;)
Thank you!
xx

Aleida, thank YOU!

Kimberly, I hope you like them! Thank you!

Angela, grazie!

Jun, I think these are perfect for picnics. :) Thank you!

Tine, thank you for stopping by!

Tina, thank you! I hope you give these a try!

Sukaina, I have to agree with you - Brazilians love coconut! :D

Rivki, the recipes calls for all purpose flour, maybe you haven't seen it... :(

Katie, thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!
xx

Nina, absolutely amazing! I have so many pages bookmarked already. :D
xx

Anonymous said...

Oooh those bars sound good! I love the idea of pairing pecans with lemon. Yum!

Rafaela said...

coconut... and pecans....AND lemon bars? sold. delicious, perfect combination, thank you!

Shelly said...

Oh, my gosh. I can hardly handle the thought of something so wonderful! I'm making them.

susan said...

Wow - those are perfectly, perfect, Patricia. You always take my breath away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails