Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nibby financiers

Nibby financiers / Financiers de baunilha com sementes de cacau

Certain smells, movies, songs – or even certain words – automatically remind us of certain people. In today’s case, it’s food that brings me two lovely friends of mine to mind – it’s impossible for me to bake financiers without thinking of @liliantrigo and Paula. :D

Nibby financiers / Financiers de baunilha com sementes de cacau

Nibby financiers
adapted from Rose's Heavenly Cakes

2/3 cup (66g) almond meal
1/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (51g) all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
¾ cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
½ cup cacao nibs, combined in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon all purpose flour

Lightly butter and flour twelve ¼ cup (60ml) capacity muffin or financier pans. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together almond meal, flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar. Add the egg whites, vanilla and melted butter and mix to combine. Stir in the cacao nibs. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans, place onto a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center of a financier comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, let cool in the pans for 5-7 minutes, then carefully unmold onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Makes 12 – I halved the recipe above, used 2-tablespoon capacity pans and got 12 tiny financiers

Nibby financiers / Financiers de baunilha com sementes de cacau

13 comments:

Restaurante Valerie said...

They look really yummy! They are simple and beautiful, the picture is great!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I can't remember the last time I had financiers! Makes me wanna rush out to get the mould and make some ;)

Karen said...

These are beautiful! Love the cocoa nibs in them. :-)

Unknown said...

Patricia, I have never made finaniers! AND I don't have Rose's book (double yikes!)....you have inspired me to do both---yours looks gorgeous!

Priya Suresh said...

Pretty financiers..

Pattycake said...

The sound fantastic - love the addition of cacao nibs!

Yummy Bakes said...

This looks good for tea. Pictures very well taken too.

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

Brilliant! I have a container of nibs that I have no idea what to do with but thanks to you I know now. You also gave me inspiration to create other desserts. Thanks!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

These are so cute! And I happen to have some nibs from winning a giveaway that I've been dying to use :).

susan said...

these look totally fabulous, Patricia. I miss baking with you! let's pick out something yummy to create together.

Mike Tidmus said...

What a beautiful shape and lovely color. Where did you get that mold? TIA

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hi, I bought the molds here in Brazil.

Mike Tidmus said...

Oh break my heart! I love the look of them! I've scrounged all the better cooking equiptment sites, but nothing like it. I'll have to try the recipe with a conventional financier pan. [sigh]

Related Posts with Thumbnails