Friday, April 15, 2011

Mini raspberry cheesecakes and trusting your instincts

Mini raspberry cheesecakes / Mini cheesecakes de framboesa

Something I’ve been trying to do more often is to trust my instincts, but sometimes I fail miserably at doing so – and deeply regret it afterwards.

Take this recipe, for instance: the mini cheesecakes looked adorable on the book, but after reading the recipe I wasn’t so keen on the idea of making the batter using an electric mixer – it would add too much air to the mixture, so a food processor would be a better choice. I decided to trust Bill Granger instead of my instincts and the result was that the cheesecakes, while in the oven, puffed up and looked beautiful, but after cooling they sort of collapsed – too much air in the batter.

Let’s hope the cheesecakes teach me a lesson. :)
Anyway, they tasted delicious, that’s why I’m posting the recipe here.

Mini raspberry cheesecakes
adapted from Feed Me Now

Base:
100g digestive or shortbread cookies
½ cup (50g) ground almonds
¼ cup (56g) unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
400g cream cheese, room temperature
½ cup (120ml) sour cream*
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) caster (superfine) sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
120g raspberries, fresh or frozen – I used frozen, unthawed
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a 12-hole, 125ml capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
Process the cookies in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Transfer the crumbs to a medium bowl, add the ground almonds and melted butter and stir to combine. Press 1 tablespoon of the mixture into the base of each paper case. Refrigerate.
Make the filling: beat the cream cheese, sour cream and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, then the egg yolk, vanilla and lemon zest, beating well after each addition. Spoon the mixture over the bases, then divide the raspberries on top.
Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and starting to color. Cool completely then refrigerate.
Carefully remove the cheesecakes from the paper cases, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.

* homemade sour cream: mix ½ cup (120ml) heavy cream with 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in room temperature for 1 hour or until it thickens

Makes 12 – I halved the recipe above, used 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffins pans and got 9 mini cheesecakes

12 comments:

LimeCake said...

They still look delicious! And I'm sure tasted that way too!

Janine said...

I second Limecake - they still look gorgeous nevertheless and I love the combination of raspberries and cream cheese :D

Rivki Locker said...

I think these look magnificent, even though they collapsed! And delicious. Cheesecake is a magical food.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking cheesecake

Sips and Spoonfuls said...

Awww they look delicious anyways and as my husband says, when it goes into the stomach, it all gets mushed anyways right?! Do you think perhaps it could be overbaking that cause them to collapse?

Inga´s Haven said...

I agree that they look delicious any way - I heard somewhere though (I have only baked a cheesecake once, since we are more accustom to the fresh ones) that your supposed to turn off the oven and leave the cake in there with the door closed until it cools completely?

Maria @ Scandi Foodie said...

I have had many similar moments where I'm testing a recipe and something tells me it is not going to turn out like I imagined... These cheesecakes, however, look perfectly scrumptious!

Paula said...

Those little sweeties look delicious! I would love to eat them..and I will after my mother will cook them for me.. :D

Aleida said...

I would kill for some of these right now! Maybe trade the raspberries for blackberries though, mmm!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I definitely know the feeling where I look at the recipe and can't believe the proportions or method but decide to trust the author and then it fails for just the reason I suspected. Fortunately you cheesecakes still look amazing. Don't be too hard on yourself 8).

Gaëlle said...

love that!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

The result is stunning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails