Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ginger cookies with lemon icing and acquired tastes in life

Ginger cookies with lemon icing / Biscoitinhos de gengibre com cobertura de lmão siciliano

Certain things we learn to love really early in life, while others are an acquired taste. I remember going crazy for Scorsese right after watching “Goodfellas” (the first of his movies I ever watched), but not until I was a young woman I fully appreciated the beauty of “The Godfather”. Go figure.

Not a ginger fan until my late twenties, I can eat a bag of crystallized ginger in no time nowadays – its striking flavor became such a favorite of mine. Go figure. ;)

Ginger cookies with lemon icing
from the beautiful Holiday

Cookies:
1 ¾ cups + ½ tablespoon (250g) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
5 tablespoons (40g) icing sugar
70g crystallized ginger, finely chopped
200g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing:
¾ cup (105g) icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice, more if necessary

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.

Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, ground ginger and icing sugar into a large bowl. Add the crystallized ginger and stir to combine. Add the melted butter and vanilla extract and, using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir until everything is well combined.
Roll 1 leveled tablespoon of dough per cookie into a ball, squeezing so you have a compact ball. Place onto prepared sheets, 5cm (2in) apart, and lightly flatten with a fork dipped in flour. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden. Cool on the pans over a wire rack.
Make the icing: mix the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth and glossy. Add a bit of water if necessary. Drizzle over the completely cooled cookies.

Makes about 35

6 comments:

asj said...

Qué buenas y bonitas te han quedado!

besos

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Hehe I've always loved ginger but I definitely love it more now (and stronger) that I'm older. These sound super yummy!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

Ahhhh....life is simply not long enough to get all of your recipes made!!!!!! How am I supposed to work, be a mom and wife, cook AND make all the yummy stuff you post too???? These I gotta make...too delicious...lemon and ginger together...food crack for this citrus-a-holic! ;-)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

I go crazy for ginger too. I always have a stash of ginger chews on hand.

Anna said...

That. Looks. Amazing. Granted I'm a sucker for anything lemon, but that combo and those plump cookies...sigh. I'll be raiding the fridge and making these tonight for sure.

Priya Suresh said...

Scrumptious cookies, stunning clicks as ever..

Related Posts with Thumbnails