Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rose water panna cotta with baked blueberry jam

Rose water panna cotta with baked blueberry jam / Panna cotta de água de rosas com geléia de mirtilos feita no forno

Anyone who listens to my Ipod or my CDs will notice that most of the music I love is old – I’m not interested in the music enjoyed by most people nowadays (with a few exceptions). My favorite songs have been favorites for the last 20 years or so. Does that make me an old fart? You can be honest and tell me. ;)

To balance the situation, I’ve brought you today four “things” relatively new to me – things I tried for the first time in the past 4-5 years: panna cotta, buttermilk, rose water and blueberries (what a delicious combo they make, my goodness). :D

Rose water panna cotta with baked blueberry jam
from Donna Hay magazine

Panna cotta:
1/3 cup (80ml) water
1 tablespoon gelatin powder
2 cups (480ml) buttermilk*
2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
1 cup + 2 tablespoons (156g) icing sugar
1 tablespoon rose water

Blueberry jam**:
125g fresh blueberries
¼ cup (50g) superfine sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Start with the panna cotta: place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin on top. Set aside for 5 minutes or until gelatin absorbs the water. Combine the buttermilk, cream, icing sugar and rose water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar has just dissolved. Add the gelatin mixture and cook, stirring, for further 1-2 minutes or until gelatin is dissolved. Strain into a jug and allow cooling. Divide mixture into six 2/3 cup (160ml) capacity glasses or ramekins and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.
Make the jam: preheat the oven to 180°/350°F. Place the blueberries, sugar and lemon juice in a small ovenproof dish and mix to combine. Bake for 15 minutes or until berries release their juices and mixture is bubbling. Cool completely.
Top each panna cotta with the jam and serve.

* homemade buttermilk: place 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a 240ml-capacity measuring cup and complete with whole milk. Wait 10 minutes for it to thicken, and then use the entire mixture in your recipe

** this jam is absolutely delicious with vanilla ice cream, too.

Serves 6

11 comments:

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

Interesting combination for a panna cotta! I've never made one before but I'm getting there :) thanks for sharing!

Tatiana said...

Patrícia,
I love old songs, specially from the 80s and we have the same age. So NO, that doesn't make you old ;)
Now your panna cotta with fresh blueberry jam looks amazing, as everything you make. I love panna cotta, but I haven't tried with rose water yet. Another one of your recipes for me to try and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Anetka said...

cool! i have some rose water at home, i have to try it!

Anonymous said...

That sounds so interesting. I wonder how a nut milk would work. Looks lovely!

KrithisKitchen said...

So beautiful... love the flavor combo..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Event: Healing Foods - Banana

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful and wonderful pannacotta,especially love that jam..

Jan said...

Baked blueberry jam? What a revelation! Also, I love rose water, so this recipe is doubly exciting! Merci!

Apollina said...

I've never tried, let alone made panna cotta! It sounds delicious with the fresh blueberry jam:)

Lindy B. said...

I made this last night for one of our "family dinners". Mixed reviews. Blueberries were fantastic, panna cotta was perfect, but the rose water freaked some of us out. It was like eating rose scented soap from Grandmothers house. I'm not saying it wasn't good, because it was, but just really strange. I am thinking of trying this next time with some orange blossom water as I have had this before in gelato and enjoyed it very much.

I've never made panna cotta and will most assuredly make this again with different flavoring (the possibilities are endless!!)

Thanks for a great website, I love your insights, obsessions and recipes!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Lindy!
Thank you for your feedback - I believe that maybe there is some difference among rose water brands? Mine was pretty light regarding flavor. But I appreciate your thoughts on the recipe. I think that you would love using vanilla instead of rose water!
Your comment made my day! I'm so glad to know you're enjoying it here.
xx

Unknown said...

i love blueberries and this sounds like a refreshing combination.
and great photo, by the way!
greetings from germany!

Related Posts with Thumbnails