Monday, June 6, 2011

Papaya-lime sorbet for a day of bad news

Papaya lime sorbet / Sorbet de papaia e limão

So I’ve read that my #2 all time favorite band has come to an end and Detective Stabler is leaving “Law & Order: SVU”, not to mention they’re adding Jennifer Love Hewitt to the cast (the show will be dead to me then) – all that on the same day. Poor me. :(

After such bad news one really needs something sweet to lighten up their day; even better if it’s a dessert with a minimum amount of guilt. :)

Papaya-lime sorbet
from the fantastic ice cream bible The Perfect Scoop

1 kg (2 pounds) papayas
2/3 cup (133g) superfine sugar*
¼ cup (60ml) water
¼ cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lime juice
pinch of salt

Cut the papayas in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Still with a spoon, remove the flesh and place into a blender. Add the sugar, water, lime juice and salt and blend until a smooth purée forms. Chill the mixture thoroughly then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Transfer to an airtight container and freeze.

* the papayas I used were very sweet, so I used only ½ cup (100g) sugar; use less than the amount required and adjust according to the sweetness of the fruit

Makes about 1 liter (1 quart)

19 comments:

Sara said...

That's crazy about Jennifer Love Hewitt, I really can't see her on that show!! Weird. Anyway, this sorbet looks so yummy - I love papaya. What great color! :)

Lora said...

This gorgeous sorbet is the perfect way to perk up your disappointment. Wow.

Lynda said...

There goes my favorite show. It just won't have the same atmosphere without Detective Stabler, but Jennifer Love-Hewitt? What are they thinking.
The papaya sorbet sounds wonderful. I am thinking of trying a similar thing with mangoes and serving both for a luncheon. Thanks for the recipe and hope that your day gets better.

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely way to have papaya
love papaya smoothie I haven't added lime juice before

lisa is cooking said...

This would definitely brighten my day! The flavor sounds fantastic, and I love the color.

Tony said...

Oh no!!! Silverchair!

Heather Hutchinson said...

Sadness! I had no idea he was leaving the show...loved the episode w/JLH but really can't see her as a main character=( Also learned that Lisa Edelstein is leaving House from same article. Glad I don't have cable anymore! Definitly time to get out the ice cream maker.

jue said...

I just can't keep up with all the yummy stuffs you make, before I can decide on one cake you come up with another! How do you do it. My boys would surely love to be your neighbour.

Katie said...

I've never had papaya sorbet, looks sensational. I suppose thats the beauty of making your own

Beth said...

Sorry about your bad day. If one of my favorite bands broke up, I'd be devastated. I'm glad the papaya sorbet was some consolation.

Jenn said...

Beautiful photo! That sorbet looks good.

Ugh, I've seen that episode with Love Hewitt - it was creepy. They're making her a detective now? I see SVU rating declining in the future :).

The Cilantropist said...

awe, bad days are always better when you treat yourself to something sweet! I bet the fresh taste and lovely color of this brightened your day. :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A fabulous combo! That sorbet must taste heavenly.

Cheers,

Rosa

Gloria Baker said...

This sorbet look amazing and delicious! gloria

Maria said...

Such a lovely, refreshing sorbet!

KMS said...

two of my favorite flavors! it would be hard for me to stop once i started i would imagine! :)

leaf (the indolent cook) said...

Such a pretty colour! Love your flavour combination! :)

Shumaila said...

looks really pretty!!

marla said...

Such a great recipe! Linking back to it in my next post :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails