Saturday, November 13, 2010

Baked’s granola, getting older and embarrassing secrets

Baked's granola / Granola da Baked bakery

I’ve decided to confess some of my deepest secrets today in order to celebrate my 32nd birthday. :)

Secret #1: I don’t like hazelnuts. I used to, but not anymore (only in creamy, chocolatey form). That’s why next time I make this granola I’ll be using almonds only.

Not embarrassing enough? Watching (again) “Miami Vice” the other day I thought that Colin Farrell looked really good as Sonny Crockett, mustache and hair included. :D

Baked's granola / Granola da Baked bakery

Baked’s granola
from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

2 cups (230g) rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup (44g) packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (50g) whole almonds
1/3 cup (48g) whole hazelnuts
2/3 cup (75g) dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt.
In a medium bowl, stir together the oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk until completely combined. Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them: gather up some of the mixture in each hand, and make a fist. Repeat until all the oats are coated with the honey mixture.
Pour the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the almonds over the granola and return to the oven.
Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola. Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the granola and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool completely, then sprinkle the cranberries and use your hands to transfer the granola to an airtight container.
The granola will keep for 1 week.

Makes 450g (1 pound)

14 comments:

pam said...

Happy Birthday!!! I am 20 years older than you. Sigh.

Magda said...

Happy birthday! The best day for disclosing embarrassing things :)

alice said...

Enjoy your hazelnut free celebrations! And don't worry, you're not the only one to dislike hazelnuts!

Nisa-mom said...

happy birthday,Patricia. you are so young.. two more week i will celebrate 41yo birthday.. getting old but i don't think i getting wise LOL

Patty said...

¡Feliz cumpleaños guapa!
Have an amazing day - you sure did start it right - that granola sounds fantastic. Pecans would be a great substitute for the hazelnuts.

I dig the hair and mustache too - ha! It must be because we're full grown women now. ;)

Just Cake Girl said...

:)))) happy b day :)) I don't like Collin that much, but Jaime Foxx could do it :)))) Enjoy your b day :9

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Just live every day like it's your last and you'll be ok. Embarrasment lessens with age....I promise you...I know!

Imwaytoobusy said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I love that you didn't dump a cup of sugar in your granola :)

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

I think you should put whatever you really like in your granola. Mine? I use walnuts, walnut oil, maple syrup and dried cranberries.

diva said...

I've always thought Colin Farrell was fairly yummy, even with those bushy eyebrows! :D Happy birthday. I've been wanting to make baked granola for a long while. Thanks for reminding me that I need to! This looks yum. x

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

Happy birthday lovely!!
What a delightful granola. I love hazelnuts, so I would keep these in I think. Not such embarrassing secrets :) Have a fabulous day!
Heidi xo

Raks said...

Happy Birthday!! Lovely recipe!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

LOL about Colin Farrell. He's a little too bad boy for me, but I can see the appeal to others. Sorry you don't like hazelnuts anymore, they're still one of my favs. Happy birthday!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pam, my dear! I would never have guessed - you're young!
xx

Magda, thank you! I'm glad you think that way. ;)

Alice, thank you! Let's celebrate with almonds, then. :)

Mom's the little one, thank you! You are young, too! My hubby is 41. :D

Patty, my dear, muchas gracias!
I love the idea of adding pecans to this granola!
I'm a sucker for bearded men. :D
xoxo

Just Cake Girl, thank you! So you get Jamie and I get Colin - no fight! :D

Sally, thank you! xx

I'm way..., thank you for stopping by! I don't like too sweet granola, either.

Denise, your granola sounds delish!

Diva, thank you! yummy, indeed! :D
xx

Heidi, sweetie, thank you! xoxo

Raks, thank you!

Xiaolu, I love bearded men. :D
Thank you, my dear!

Related Posts with Thumbnails