Friday, November 5, 2010

Orange blueberry friands - and Aragorn

Orange blueberry friands / Friands de laranja e mirtilo

Let’s keep on with the sweet posts, because I have a reputation to maintain. :D

On one of my rounds at IMDb, I ended up at “The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring” trivia and read that Stuart Townsend was Peter Jackson’s first idea for the role of Aragorn (which was a complete shock to me). Luckily Viggo *sigh* was chosen instead – talk about a perfect replacement. :D

I have some other great replacements here for you: orange zest for vanilla and blueberries for raspberries.

Orange blueberry friands / Friands de laranja e mirtilo

Orange blueberry friands

175g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup (100g) ground almonds
6 egg whites, lightly beaten
finely grated zest of 1 large orange
1 ½ cups (210g) icing sugar, sifted
½ cup (70g) all purpose flour, sifted
¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen – I used frozen
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Butter well ten ¾-cup (180ml) capacity mini cake or muffin pans.
Place the butter, ground almonds, egg whites, orange zest, icing sugar and flour in a large bowl and stir just until combined.
Spoon the mixture into prepared pans – they should be just over ½ full. Top each friand with 4-5 blueberries. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to stand in pans for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve.

Makes 10 – I made 1/3 of the recipe above, used 3-tablespoon-capacity pans and got 7 tiny friands

21 comments:

Unknown said...

These are adorable and I would love one with my coffee right now.

Ploplop said...

I totally agree about Viggo! hihi
And your friands look nice!

Karen said...

Patricia, these look yummy! Love how you used orange zest and blueberries. :-)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

U have the best friands on ur wonderful blog always!!

Sharon@LoftyQuilts.com said...

I am so very Happy happy Happy to have found your blog. I live in Chicago and never heard a Friands until I visited my sister last year in Melbourne Au. I fell in love with theses perfect little treats. I will be baking this weekend, remembering all off the wonderful moments I savored with my dear sweet sissie.

Patty said...

I agree - your friands are awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

What a pretty dessert! Love that you are serving them in a little egg carton- so cute!

Karen Baking Soda said...

So lovely looking.. very yum! (As is Viggo...)

Joudie's Mood Food said...

How beautiful. I love the presentation. Just gorgeous!

The Urban Baker said...

I have so many egg whites at this very moment. Thank you so much, Patricia, for solving my problem! This photo is signature "you" and it is one of my favorites thus far!!

Torviewtoronto said...

looks delicious
beautifully presented

mari said...

Orange zest and blueberries are infinitely more interesting!!! happy weekend, m

M. said...

this looks beautiful! great photo and styling and of course delicious recipe :)

you're such a great baker Patricia!

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Um, I'm just curious. Never heard the term "friand" before. Looks like a muffin - but hey - I could be wrong.

Quay Po Cooks said...

What a wonderful post! The presentation of the friand is superb! Anyone sees this will want one now!

Anonymous said...

Orane and blueberries...it sounds wonderful...but so does vanilla and raspberries! Beautiful and mouthwatering image..
Ronelle

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jennifurla, thank you! I wish I could share these with you.
xx

Ploplop, thank you! :D
Viggo rules! :D

Karen, thank you!

Sugar Plum Fairy, thank you! You're far too kind!
xx

Quilting Daisy, thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!
Friands are the same as financiers, and I call mine financiers "friands" because I'm inspired by Aussie chefs!

Patty, thank you, sweetie!
xoxo

La Casita..., thank you for stopping by!

Hi, sweetie! Thank you! :D

Joudie, thank you for stopping by!

Susan, I hope you like the recipe! I have several egg whites in the freezer, too - too many ice cream recipes, I guess. ;)
I'm so glad you like the photo - you are just sweet!
xoxo

Torview... , thank you!

Mari, I'm glad you like it, darling!
Thank you!
xx

M., that is such a compliment coming from you! xx

Denise, thank you for stopping by! Friands are the same as financiers.

Quay Po Cooks, thank you for stopping by! :D

Ronelle, thank you! I agree with you - I like both combos. :D

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Just too pretty, Patricia. Love the little flowers and the pop of color they add. The cakes of course look scrumptious.

Cynthia said...

I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan so when I saw your post title and the word Aragorn, I had to click through! :)

Miriam said...

I agree with you... we got lucky with that replacement! ;D

Patricia Scarpin said...

Xiaolu, thank you!

Cynthia, Aragorn rules! :D
xx

Miriam, very lucky - I love Viggo. :D
Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails