Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Oatmeal raisin ice cream

Oatmeal raisin ice cream / Sorvete de praliné de aveia e passas

I know, I know... An ice cream post right after the salad and whole karma cleansing speech. What can I say? I am a lost cause. :D

In my defense, this ice cream has oats – even though they’re enrobed in caramel, they’re still oats. And oats are good for you. :D
If I were to make this recipe again I would double the amount of oatmeal praliné and skip the raisins; actually, I would triple the amount so I could nibble on some praliné while making the custard – this stuff is so delicious I almost ate it all before adding it to the ice cream.

Oatmeal raisin ice cream
from The Perfect Scoop

Raisins:
¼ cup (60ml) water
2 tablespoons caster sugar
½ cup (78g) raisins
2 teaspoons whiskey

Oatmeal praliné:
¾ cup (86g) rolled oats, not instant
½ cup (100g) caster sugar

Ice cream:
1 cup (240ml) whole milk
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups (480ml) heavy cream
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (70g) light brown sugar, packed
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 large egg yolks
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare the raisins: heat the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Add the raising and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until all about but 2 tablespoons of the syrup has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the whiskey and let cool completely.
Now, the oatmeal praliné: preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the oats evenly on the sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice while baking, until the oats are fragrant and nicely toasted. Remove from the oven.
Spread the sugar in a medium, heavy bottomed skillet and cook over medium heat, watching it carefully. When it begins to liquefy and darken at the edges, use a heatproof spatula to stir it very gently, encouraging the heat of the liquefied sugar to moisten the sugar crystals in the center.
Tilt the pan and stir gently until all the sugar is melted and the caramel begins to smoke. Once the mixture is deep golden, remove it from the heat and immediately add the oats (lift the foil to guide them in quickly). Return the foil to the sheet.
Stir the oats gently but quickly, coating them with the caramel. Scrape the oats onto the foil and spread them as well as possible. Let cool completely. Once firm, break into small pieces by pulsing them in a food processor or placing the praline in a heavy-duty plastic bag and smacking them with a mallet or rolling pin.
Make the ice cream base: warm the milk, granulated sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk the cream, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set a mesh strainer on top.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour over the warm milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the mixture back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir into the cream. Mix in the vanilla and stir until cool over an ice bath (I simply let it cool over the counter then refrigerated it).
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. During the last few minutes of churning add the raisins and oatmeal praliné.

Makes about 1 quart

21 comments:

LimeCake said...

i love oats! never had them in ice cream before. yum!

Anonymous said...

We made this not too long ago and whoa, was it heavenly! Definitely agree about increasing the amount of praline. And I think a little orange zest in the ice cream might be a nice touch next time!

Cheers,

*Heather*

alice said...

I made something just like this recently for our restaurant. People wolfed it down and deliberately came back for more. They are magnificent flavour combos!

pam said...

Oh, I am soooo going to make this and I will definitely increase the amount of oat praline!

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious salad and ice cream lovely cause :)

pigpigscorner said...

The oat praline sounds like a great addition!

The Urban Baker said...

oatmeal-raisin ice cream!!!! oh patricia, what will you
think of next? this looks heavenly!

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

yeahhhhhhhhhhh!! starting with ice cream recipes??? my favourites! this flavour really looks interesting and delicious!

have a nice ...day or whatever it is over there ;) i'm not good with time zones calculations and stuff ;)

xoxo

Sere

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Oatmeal? raisins? Praline??? Oh god! I just think I died and went to ice cream heaven! Love the recipe Patricia!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

One of my favorite cookie flavors as an ice cream...I think I'm in trouble. This sounds amazing!

Dianna said...

I hardly ever make ice cream, but I think I'm going to be making this soon. As soon as I get some cream in the house. :) Thanks for sharing.

Bakericious said...

sound so nice to have oats added in, I am going to try this when there is space in my freezer.

Lauren at KeepItSweet said...

wow, i'd love to have this in front of me! i'd pick out the raisins, but it would be worth it:-)

Anonymous said...

I would happily sacrifice the two miles I just did on the elliptical machine for a bowl of this ice cream. Sounds amazing!!

vanille said...

Today, it almost feels like Summer here and I would gladly eat your ice cream for dessert and the previous tomato, feta and wheat salad for lunch ...yummy !

Patricia Scarpin said...

LimeCake, I bet you would love this ice cream, then!

Heather, I LOVE the idea of adding orange zest - genius!
Tks for sharing!

Alice, yum! I'm sure people loved it. :D

Pam, I'm sure you'll like it, sweetie!
xx

Torview, thank you! :D

Pigpigscorner, thank you for stopping by!

Susan, thank you, my dear! I think your boys would love this ice cream.
xx

Sere, sweetie! Oh, you are always just a dear - thank you!
xoxo

Peter, thank you, my friend! You are far too kind.

Xiaolu, this praliné is absolutely divine. Thank you!

Mrs. Mordecai, I sometimes run out of cream too - not good. :D
Thank you for stopping by!

Jess, thank you! I hope you give this recipe a try.

Lauren, thank you for stopping by! Oh, you can pick out the raisins, I won't tell anyone. ;)

Michelle, you are a brave woman! :D
Thank you, dearie!
xx

Vanille, I would love to have you over for lunch!
xx

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

Oh Patricia!! Thank you soooo much for this recipe! (and your notes for what you'd do next time). I cannot wait to make this!
Heidi xo

Lora said...

Fantasic ice cream idea for my favorite cookie! Thanks!

Joanne said...

Oats = health food. Ice cream = dairy. What more could a girl ask for?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Heidi, thank YOU, sweetie! I hope you like it!
xx

Lora, thank YOU for stopping by!

Joanne, you've said it all. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails