Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rhubarb tarts

Rhubarb tarts / Tortinhas de ruibarbo

A dear friend of mine once blogged about “good envy” – is there such thing? I mean, can we associate envy with a positive adjective, even if it’s to show admiration for someone/something?

An example: during all these years into blogging I’ve been “envying” my lovely friends from Europe and USA for having lots of rhubarb around; now I could finally find it here in São Paulo (thank you, Ana!) and it is absolutely delicious! :D

A non-food related example: I “envy” the Argentineans for their wonderful movies, far superior than ours – and they have Darín, too. ♥

What do you think? Can I call that feeling “good envy”? Any suggestions? :D

rhubarb tarts8

Rhubarb tarts
from Good to the Grain

Rhubarb compote:
2 pounds (900g) rhubarb stalks
1 ¼ cups (218g) dark brown sugar, packed

Dough:
1 cup (135g) corn flour
1 cup (140g) all purpose flour
½ cup (82g) fine cornmeal
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (74g) caster sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick/113g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1.25cm (½ inch) pieces
¼ cup (60ml) + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 egg yolks

Start by making the compote: rinse the rhubarb stalks and trim off the very ends. Unless the stalks are very slender, cut them in half lengthwise. Cut the rhubarb on the diagonal into a little less than 2cm (¾ inch) chunks. You’ll have about 6 cups of rhubarb; set 2 cups aside and put the remaining 4 cups in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan (with about 4 liter/5 quart capacity).
Add the brown sugar to the saucepan, give the mixture a few stirs, cover, and turn the heat to medium-low (it’s important to begin slowly so the rhubarb warms up and begins to release its liquid). Cook the rhubarb for about 15 minutes, covered, until the mixture is saucy. Remove the cover and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 15-17 minutes, stirring continuously, until the rhubarb is completely broken down and thick enough that a spoon leaves a trail at the bottom of the pan.
Add the remaining rhubarb to the saucepan and stir to combine. Immediately pour the compote out onto a large plate or baking dish to cool.
The compote will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Now, the dough: sift the dry ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer, pouring back into the bowl any bits of grain or other ingredients that may remain in the sifter.
Add the butter and using the paddle attachment mix on low speed and mix to break up the butter. Increase the speed to medium and mix until the butter is as coarse as cornmeal. Add the heavy cream and the egg yolks and mix just until combined – the mixture will appear crumbly, but when squeezed between your fingers it will become one mass.
Now, shape the tarts: divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Lightly flour a work surface, grab one piece of dough and using the heel of your hand flatten it into a 13cm (5in) circle.
Spoon ¼ cup of the rhubarb compote into the center of the circle of dough. Fold the edge of the dough toward the filing and up, to create a ruffled edge. Slice a metal spatula underneath the tart and transfer to a baking sheet. Continue with the remaining dough, then place the tarts in the freezer to rest until firm, at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F and line two baking sheets with baking paper. Place the tarts onto the prepared pans and bake for about 35 minutes or until the tarts are brown and the filling is bubbling and thick.
Tarts can be eaten warm or at room temperature; they can be kept for up to 2 days if tightly wrapped in plastic.

Makes 10 – I made 1/3 of the recipe above, got 3 tarts and ¼ cup of the compote left

19 comments:

LimeCake said...

to me, envy has a slightly negative connotation. perhaps admire is more apt? delicious tarts by the way!

Coconut and Vanilla said...

I don't know how it is in english. In german there is also the possibility for a "positive" envy.
I envy you for those beautiful sea shell molds from your last post. I think this isn't something negative, is it?
And rhubarb is such a delicious fruit, but has a very short season. Just have to wait 6 months again ;).

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I know what you mean but I don't know of a better term either, hehe. I just discovered rhubarb in the last year even though it's been available around me all this time. Oops! Great tarts to use them in :).

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious presentation
check out the event in my site
regards

Sara said...

Mmmmmmm, these tarts look to-die-for! I love the flavor of rhubarb... :)

mari said...

I can't remember where I heard this but apparently the rhubarb leaves are quite toxic, so you should never eat them. Have you heard this? Don't want to scare you. Those tarts look yum yum yummy.

art is in the kitchen said...

Your rhubarb tart is simply delicious! Now I know what to do whenever I see them in the store. I like your blog.

Patty said...

I agree with LimeCake - instead of "envy" how about "admire"? Like: I really admire you for being such a talented prolific baker and photographer with access to awesome ingredients like rhubarb. :)

Mary said...

I don't know what you call it, but I want some rhubarb right now because of this! I have to wait 6 more months until it is in season again. I have a couple of jars of jam and a few bags of frozen, but I am budgeting to make them last until it's in the garden again.
:)

Mercè said...

Patricia, you know what? I'm from Europe and I've lived in the US and never tried rhubarb!! These tarts look like "galette", right?
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you so much for this recipe! I adore rhubarb & these tarts look fantastic! Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you create such a lovely header for your blog? Did you use a particular graphics designer?Thank you

Katie said...

They look wonderful. i love how rich and sticky your rhubarb compote is.

schlachtplatte said...

My food-envy is the freshly squeezed orange juice from Ojai, California. Not that you can't get freshly squeezed orange juice here in Berlin, but it is definitely not made from oranges that were ripening on the tree under the Californian sun...and yes, I admit it, I am drooling when thinking about that orange juice! Oh, and Palauan soursap, another food-envy of mine!

stephen said...

These sound delicious. I’m saving the recipe to my file and will make it soon! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

Patricia Scarpin said...

LimeCake, I think I agree with you, sweetie!
Thank you!

Lena, really? How nice! That doesn't happen in English (as far as I know) and neither in Portuguese.
The sea shell molds were a gift from a friend who used to live in Japan - thank you!
Thank you for stopping by!

Xiaolu, I'm glad you discovered rhubarb! I love tangy things, so I was in heaven. :D
Thank you, sweetie!

Torview, OK! thank you!

Sara, thank you! The dough is so easy to put together.

Mari, my dear, thank you for letting me know! I heard Jamie Oliver saying that - where I got mine rhubarb the stalks are sold without the leaves, ready to be eaten.
Thank you for caring!
xoxo

Michelangelo, thank you for stopping by!

Patty, you are just too sweet! Thank you, my lovely friend!
xx

Mary, you gave me such a great idea - I'll be freezing some for when the season is over. :D
Thank YOU!

Mercè, darling! Long time no see! It's wonderful to see you again!
These are just like galettes, yes!
xoxo

Anonymous, thank you for visiting! The header was made by a friend of mine here in Brazil, it was a gift. :D

Katie, sticky and delicious - thank you, darling!

Schlachtplatten, now I am craving that orange juice, too! :D

Begoña said...

In Spain we use something like healthy envy for the same concept. I think you can definetly feel good envy, i feel it everytime I visit your blog!!

Ps. I've been reading you for a while, but this is my first comment! jiji

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

I think there can be healthy envy!! We still tend to think of the negative aspect first though. I have healthy envy with different things. It can be an inspiration though, for you to do things yourself. i.e. I could say that I envy your beautiful baking skills, yet it INSPIRES me to work on my skills :) see, healthy envy!

p.s. these tarts look so rustic and beautiful! I love rhubarb too.
Heidi xo

Sil BsAs said...

I give you Darín as a present and get all your fabulous coconut products and fruits in exchange!! =)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Begoña, thank you for letting me know! And you are just too kind!
Pleased to meet you!
xx

Heidi, healthy envy - I like that! :D
You are just too sweet, darling! Thank you for your kind words!
xoxo

Sil, done deal! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails