Friday, November 26, 2010

Butter cake (like the ones grandma used to make)

Butter cake / Bolo amanteigado com cara de bolo de avó

Let’s take a sweet turn on the simple recipe subject: a delicious and tender cake, that goes wonderfully with a cup of tea or coffee – making it could not be easier: you just throw all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well; no elbow grease needed – the electric mixer will take care of that for you.

The icing here is completely optional – you can go for a dust of icing sugar – but I wanted the cake to look exactly like the ones my grandmother used to make when I was a kid. :D

Butter cake / Bolo amanteigado com cara de bolo de avó

Butter cake
from Modern Classics Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits & Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies & Tarts (Morrow Cookbooks)

Cake:
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (127g) unsalted butter, very well softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 ½ tablespoons (218g) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 ½ cups + 1 ½ tablespoons (225g) all purpose flour, sifted
½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking soda, sifted
pinch of salt
½ cup (120ml) whole milk, room temperature

Icing:
1 cup (140g) icing sugar, sifted
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or water

Preheat the oven to 160°C; butter a 20cm (8in) round cake pan, line the bottom with baking paper and butter the paper as well.
Place the butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and milk in the large bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until combined.
Scrape the sides of the bowl, then beat in high speed until the mixture is just smooth.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until risen, golden and cooked through when tested with a toothpick. Allow to cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 5 minutes, then carefully unmold onto the rack. Let cool completely.
Make the icing: place the sugar in a small bowl and gradually add the juice/water, mixing until smooth (add more liquid if necessary). Drizzle over the cake.

Serves 8

9 comments:

Trgirl66 said...

Never heard of caster sugar so I goggled it and it's called "superfine" sugar here in the states...I've seen it, not used it but now am curious. And your cake looks lovely!

Just Cake Girl said...

Looks amazing ;)

The Urban Baker said...

we have a pizza place near by and she has, on the counter, a "white" cake. this reminds me of it! i love this post, patricia! enjoy!

Unknown said...

Well... my grandmother always used to bake her cakes from a box. I definitely would have preferred this though!

Patty said...

So simple and lovely!

Taz said...

My grandmother mostly made apple pies, but boy were they good apple pies! I wish she'd made this too!

Abby said...

Love it. So old-fashioned, homey and I'm sure delicious!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Trgirl66, thank you for stopping by! You can make superfine sugar by grinding granulated sugar in the food processor.

Just Cake Girl, thank you!

Susan, my dear, thank you! I love the idea of cake in a pizza place. ;)
xx

Lindsay, I'm sure they were delicious, too, even being from a box. ;)
Thank you!

Patty, thank you!
xx

Taranii, apple pies, yum! I'm sure they were delicious pies.
Thank you, my dear!

Abby, thank you! It was gone pretty fast. ;)

Dani said...

yummy!! I'm going to make this tomorrow...it looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails